Saturday, August 29, 2020: HARRIS COUNTY, Texas — A teen has died after he was electrocuted in a hotel pool Saturday afternoon in north Houston. The incident happened at the North Villa Inn located on the 16500 block of the North Freeway and North Vista Drive.
Harris County Pct. 4 deputies say a 15-year-old juvenile was in the hotel’s pool when he was electrocuted. Officials said the teen’s father pulled him out of the pool and paramedics performed CPR. The teen was transported to a nearby hospital where he later died. Exposed wiring in the pool may have been the cause of the electrocution, the Harris County Sheriff’s office is investigating.
by Attny Jesse E. Guerra, Jr.
According to a recent study, Texas had more pool drownings in 2019 than in recent years. Certainly, this is a tragic statistic given that Texas has vast resources and has initiated extensive outreach to promote swimming pool safety. As an aquatic litigation pioneer, I have seen a decline in new cases in the last few years.
To be quite honest, I am happy to see a decline in cases as a result of efforts made through public awareness, and at times, due to costly litigation taken against some pool owners/operators who refused to take action to make their pools safer unless juries or litigation made them change their minds.