(AMARILLO, Texas – January 18, 2020) Authorities said at least one person is dead after a wreck near I-27 and SE 34th Overpass in Amarillo at about 8:20 a.m. on Thursday January 16th. A member of the Randall County Sheriff’s Office said 18-year-old Evelyn Jasmine Rios died on the scene from injuries sustained in the crash.
Details given were that a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, driven by Evelyn Jasmine Rios, of Amarillo, was headed westbound when she lost control of the Jeep, slid into oncoming traffic and hit a 2011 Mazda Tribute, driven by a 17-year-old male from Amarillo. The 17-year-old was taken to the hospital with what was initially thought to be life-threatening injuries.
According to the Amarillo Police Department, officers were sent to the overpass in the 4000 block of SE 34th Avenue for this accident. Emergency workers said the crash involved two vehicles. Speed and black ice are contributing factors in this collision.
Authorities have ordered an autopsy. APD’s Traffic Investigation Squad is investigating the accident. This story will be updated as new information is available.
CREDIT: ABC 7
SAFE DRIVING ON ICE
Winter weather creates unpredictable and dangerous driving conditions. TxDOT strongly advises you to stay off the roads. If you must drive, please use extreme caution.
- Slow down. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions.go
- Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
- Watch carefully for snow removal equipment and stay at least 200 feet behind snow plows.
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
- If your vehicle starts to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you have regained traction. Then straighten your vehicle.
If you, a family member or loved one has been injured or has suffered a wrongful death due to driving accidents, contact an attorney who specializes in these cases to review your legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for damages, medical treatments, and lost wages due to the incident.
Lawyers at Carabin Shaw help clients get the care and attention they deserve after a serious incident. Our experienced attorneys represent people and families who have suffered catastrophic injuries and tragic wrongful deaths throughout the state of Texas. If you or a loved one has been injured contact us today at (800) 862-1260.
The personal injury attorneys of Carabin Shaw provided the information herein as a community service.