Wednesday, April 1, 2020: AMARILLO, TX- Two women are dead, and a child is in the hospital after a Wednesday night wreck near the Ross Rogers Golf Course in Amarillo. Police were called to a two-vehicle accident near NW 24th Avenue and N. Jefferson Street on April 1 around 9:50 p.m. Police said alcohol is a factor in the crash.
Police said Johnson did not yield the right of way to Finch and was hit by her car. According to Amarillo police, Finch died at the hospital and 44-year-old Leskisha Nicole Washington, a passenger in Finch’s car died at the hospital later from injuries sustained in the accident. A 1-year-old child, also a passenger in Finch’s car was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Johnson has been booked into the Potter County Detention Center on charges of intoxicated manslaughter, intoxicated assault and injury to a child. Amarillo PD’s Traffic Investigation Squad is continuing its investigation.
TxDOT Tips to Avoid a Collision
Most crashes in Texas result from speeding, failure to yield, driving under the influence of alcohol, following too closely and running red lights and stop signs.
Avoid a Collision
- Slow down and drive to conditions.
- Drive friendly – yield to other drivers and be courteous.
- Maintain a safe following distance.
- Look both ways before you enter an intersection.
- Signal every turn and lane change.
- Stop at red lights and stop signs.
- Don’t drive if you’ve been drinking.
What To Do After a Crash
- Check for injuries. If people are hurt, tend to them. Call 911.
- Move your car out of the roadway to a safer place where you can exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, vehicle identification numbers, vehicle license plate numbers, insurance information and driver license information.
- Note the location of the crash and get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses. If the vehicles cannot be moved, protect the scene by setting up flares or raising your hood.
If you, a family member or loved one has been injured or has suffered a wrongful death or personal injury due to driving accidents, contact an attorney who specializes in these cases to review your legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for damages, medical treatments, and lost wages due to the incident.
Lawyers at Carabin Shaw help clients get the care and attention they deserve after a serious incident. Our experienced attorneys represent people and families who have suffered catastrophic injuries and tragic wrongful deaths throughout the state of Texas. If you or a loved one has been injured contact us today at 800) 862-1260.
The personal injury attorneys of Carabin Shaw provided the information herein as a community service.